If John Sawyer, founder of E.R. Sawyer Jewelers, were alive today, he would be proud of the legacy he created when he opened his watch and clock shop in 1879. Upon his death in 1889, John’s son Elbert R. Sawyer took over the family business and under his leadership the store flourished for more than 50 years. In 1949, the store was sold to Allan and Virginia Flood in partnership with Allan’s uncle, Orrin Magoon.
Together they worked tirelessly to run the business until Orrin’s retirement in 1962. At that time, the Floods were joined by their son in law, Robert Van Dyke who began working at the store and learning the jewelry business. In 1978, the Floods retired and turned the family business over to Robert and Kathleen Van Dyke. Kathleen was the daughter of Virginia and Allan Flood.
Almost a decade later, Robert and Kathleen were joined by their son, Douglas Van Dyke. After working and learning the family business over the next fifteen years, Douglas assumed the role of President in 2002 when Robert retired. Douglas became the family’s fourth generation owner, continuing the company’s 123 year tradition.
Today, E. R. Sawyer Jewelers is owned and operated by Doug and Ame Van Dyke. Being raised in Sonoma County, both Doug and Ame appreciate the importance of doing business locally and giving back to the community they serve. The Van Dykes are active members of the community and it is not uncommon to see the entire Van Dyke family at a community event or fundraiser.
While the names, faces, and locations of the store may have changed, one thing remains constant and that is the honesty and integrity E. R. Sawyer Jewelers is known for – and has been since 1879.